This pair of screen paintings depict the cityscape and suburb landscape of Kyoto from the early 17th century. They are thought to be painted in the Genna era (1615-24). We can see the Takasegawa, a small north-south canal in the middle left of this screen, which was built from 1612 to 1613. Two long bridges, Sanjo ohashi and Gojo ohashi, are run across the Kamo river, but Shijo ohashi bridge had not been built until the middle of the 19th century. Various temples and shrines in the Rakuto (or HIgashiyama) area was pictured in the right-hand screen. Above all, the outstanding huge hall for a great statue of Buddha in the Hokoji temple catches our eyes. Unfortunately this great temple was burned down due to a thunderbolt in 1798.