THE SHOULDERSTAND — SARVĀNGĀSANA
The Shoulderstand benefits all parts of the body. According to Swami Sivananda there are three āsanas which alone will keep the body in perfect health: Headstand, Shoulderstand, and Forward-Bend. Although most people have the impression that they are bending backwards, the Shoulderstand is actually a forward-bending exercise.
• Tones and revitalizes the thyroid & parathyroid glands. This improves and balances the metabolism of literally every cell in the body.
• Stretches away any stress held in the shoulder and neck area.
• Improves the blood supply to the roots of the spinal nerves.
• Circulates the stagnant blood in the legs. Thus it is a strong tonic for people who must stand on their feet all day and relieves varicose veins.
• Stimulates cheerfulness and helps to cure depression.
• Helps to relieve mental sluggishness and promotes clear thinking.