Since 1935 the Shrine Guard has carried the responsibility of guarding the Shrine of Remembrance on behalf of generations of Victorians.
After the opening of the Shrine on 11 November 1934, the then Chief Commissioner of Police, Thomas Blamey appointed a select group of men to look after this site. From the 250 Victoria Police who applied, twelve highly decorated veterans of the First World War were selected for this honour. Lieutenant George Ingram, winner of the Victoria Cross, was the most highly decorated member and became the unofficial leader of the Shrine Guard. Two Senior Constables were added to this contingent to become officers in charge. The Shrine Guard proudly wear the uniforms of the Light Horse Infantry.
The Shrine Guard's dual security and ceremonial roles at the Shrine have not changed greatly since 1935. The Victoria Police and Protective Services Officers who have comprised the Shrine Guard for over 80 years are justly proud of their service to the Shrine of Remembrance in protecting the memorial and the memories of Victorians who have served and died in war and peacekeeping.