Major expansions on the farm occurred between 1912 (when William Saunders retired and J.H. Grisdale took over as director) and the early 1930s, including increasing the number of buildings from 34 to 95.
The Small Dairy Barn pictured here was constructed in 1912. Its main purpose was to conduct tests on the digestibility of different feed types for dairy cows. It still stands on the CEF grounds today.