Multi-coloured ornamental stained-glass window with outlined and etched plant motifs. It is the work of José Luis Alonso Susperregui, originally from Lesaka (Navarre), who worked at Unión de Artistas Vidrieros in Irun (Gipuzkoa) until his retirement and the closure of the company in 2008.
The first stained glass workshop in Irun opened in 1923. From that date until 2008, the local industry was known for the quality of its products and the variety of its motifs, which extended far beyond traditional religious themes. Examples can be found in Europe, Asia and the Americas. A particularly fine piece can be seen in the Abando station in Bilbao (Bizkaia). This single piece, measuring 286 square metres, was the largest leaded stained glass window of its time.
This is one of the nearly 4,500 stained glass windows, sketches and other pieces making up the Provincial Government of Gipuzkoa's José Luis Alonso collection.
Urdangarín, Carmelo; Izaga, José Mª. Maestros Vidrieros de Irún. In: Oficios tradicionales. [Donostia = San Sebastián]: Diputación Foral de Gipuzkoa, Departamento de Economía y Turismo = Gipuzkoako Foru Aldundia, Ekonomia eta Turismo Departamentua,. V, 13-31.
Inventory number: GFA-026455-001