A statue of Nordbahn founder and financier Salomon Mayer Rothschild, who arrived from Frankfurt in 1821, used to stand in the hall of Nordbahnof station, built in 1865. In the second half of the nineteenth century the Nordbahn developed into the means of transport for Viennese immigrants, and its terminus was their point of entry. The first thing they saw on arrival was the statue of Rothschild, with its optimistic promise of unending possibilities for immigrants to this city. The statue was removed in 1938 and given to the Historisches Museum. In 1952 it was transferred to the Railway Museum, later incorporated in the Technical Museum.