Romanesque sculpture from the Cremona area in the early decades
of the 12th century is admirably documented by a series of works in the Museum
collection, including the Telamon
bought in Cremona in 1905 and coming from the cathedral church, where it was
made during the first phase of construction (1107 - 1115) by the Maestro dei Profeti. He is recognised by critics as one of the
closest collaborators of Wiligelmo, the most famous sculptor working in the
construction sites of Lombardy and Emilia at the beginning of the 12th century.
Creator of a vigorously plastic language, Wiligelmo was responsible, between
1099 and 1110, for the decoration project of Modena cathedral and, from 1107,
he may have also directed that of the cathedral of Cremona.