The Alameda was once merely a path that linked Mission Santa Clara and the Pueblo of San José. The trees lining either side of The Alameda were planted in 1799 by Father Magin Catala, using the labor of 200 Native Americans. Over time, the street was developed with Victorian mansions and gardens. The only remnants of those original trees can be found today at 1860 The Alameda. On display at the Paulson House in History Park.