The Bank of Commerce in Craiova, 1906-1916
Code no. List of Historical Monuments DJ-m-II-A-07979
The Bank of Commerce was founded in 1899 by Constantine Neamtzu, a liberal politician who also held the executive position. Later on the bank had several branches in many important cities. In 1906 new headquarters were started to be built in Craiova (project by arch. Mincu) and they were finished in 1916 by arch. Constantin Iotzu. The style of the building is ecclectic, with a magnificient decoration such as furniture and wainscoting, stained glasses, cast iron, painted ceilings and mosaics. Today here is the City Hall of Craiova.