The Central School for Girls, building plans 1888-1889, built in 1890, other interior works done in 1892
Code no. List of Historical Monuments B-II-m-A-18924
While having a meal at Titu Maiorescu's, the Minsitry of Education, Nicholas Petrashcu recommended Mincu for the project of the Central Girls' School. The institution was founded in 1851 by the ruler of Wallachia, Barbo Stirbey, but did not get its own building. In 1888 the minister Maiorescu asked for the construction permit and in 1889 the foundation stone was laid. When Mincu designed the building, he was inspired by the Western cloisters and he also used glasswalls in the inner courtyard. Mincu used his alphabet as decoration on the exterior and interior walls in order to remind us of important women who played a role in our history and culture.
His idea to use a national alphabet caught very quickly and most of our public buildings (city-halls, prefectures, financial and administrative headquarters) use this font. It also stressed the concept of a Romanian architectural style.
Later on, on the former tennis field, a new house will be built for the director of the school, by the arch. was O.Maugsch. The festivities hall, which became cinema and is now Bulandra Theatre, was designed in 1942 by arch. Horia Creangă.