Given to Louis Pasteur by the artist to whom it belonged. Displayed in the Pasteurs' living room at the Ecole normale supérieure in 1880. The original plaster of this work was exhibited at the Salon of 1857. The bronze, from the same year, is in the gardens of the Galliera Museum. J.J. Perraud was a friend of Louis Pasteur and made the marble bust of Louis Pasteur (Museum of Dole).