A new house and landscape park were created at Ascot Place in the late 18th century. A number of ornamental features were erected in the park, including The Grotto, which was built in circa 1750 by masons Robert Turnbull & Scott. It contains several chambers in a mound of rocks and boulders. Inside, the walls are lined with quartz crystals and artificial stalactites hang from the ceiling.
Historic England Archive AA98/04117