Between 1900 and 1907, Gustav Klimt spent the summer months staying with the Flöge family at the Litzlberg house and brewery. Flanking the Seehof Chapel at Litzlberg, a majestic poplar sparked his interest, which he painted twice. Eventually in 1928 the poplar tree was felled by lightning. Presented as a vibrating surface composed of multi-colored “trout dots” reminiscent of Pointillism, the tree in the picture at hand towers up toward the sky. When the painting was first exhibited at Klimt’s solo show at the Secession in 1903/04, art reviewers quickly noted the picture’s somber undertone.