The Montearagón fortified monastery fell into private hands in 1843, as a result of the Spanish government's seizure of church property in the desamortización, or Spanish confiscation. Faced with its increasing deterioration, the owners ended up donating the property to Queen Isabel II. The painting depicts a view of Montearagón castle and shows the official in charge of managing the royal household taking possession of the monastery on July 2, 1859. The highest-ranking civil, military, and ecclesiastical officials attended, and the military awaited the retinue in parade formation. León Abadías, a painter from Huesca, wanted to commemorate this event on canvas and present it to the queen, although the painting never made it to Madrid.