Physical Dimensions: overall: 101 x 126.5 cm (39 3/4 x 49 13/16 in.)
framed: 139.1 x 159.4 x 9.5 cm (54 3/4 x 62 3/4 x 3 3/4 in.)
Provenance: (Augustus W. Oberwalder [Augustus De Forest], New York); purchased 13 December 1920 by Thomas B. Clarke [1848-1931], New York; his estate; sold as part of the Clarke collection 29 January 1936, through (M. Knoedler & Co., New York), to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1942 to NGA.
 Quidor offered the painting for sale to the American Art Union in 1850; the offer was declined and the painting returned as of February 1851. See American Art Union, Register of Works of Art 1848-1851 and Letters from Artists, both at the New York Historical Society (copies NGA curatorial files).