St Lawrence Jewry was rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren, one of the most highly-acclaimed English architects, and was one of his most expensive City Churches.
On the night of the 29 December 1940, St Lawrence Jewry was almost destroyed by enemy action when a fire bomb hit the church. All that remained of the building was the outside walls and the tower. The rebuilding of the church commenced in 1954 and was completed in 1957. The architect was Cecil Brown, who used Wren’s original plans to rebuild the interior.
The Wren Window was designed by Christopher Webb, Master Glass Painter, a modest man and an artist of great integrity. Webb was a master of design, colour and had a sensitivity to the places in which he worked. He used the same techniques as glassmakers in the 15th century.