Unused, yellow triangle badge with a black letter U found by Lt. Milton Shurr, a Jewish American soldier, in April-June 1945 at the recently liberated Buchenwald concentration camp. The yellow cloth would mark the inmate as Jewish. The letter indicated camp status or nationality. The letter U could be for Ungarisch (Hungarian]. Patches were usually applied with the triangle inverted, or point down. However, there were combination badges: 2 overlapped triangles, 1 upright, 1 inverted, formed a Judenstern or Star of David. Or a yellow triangle might be placed over a black triangle to identify a non-Jewish person, usually female, who had sex with a Jew. The patch would be attached on the left breast of the jacket or on the pants leg. First Lt. Shurr assisted in the planning for D-Day, June 6, 1944, and joined the Civil Affairs Unit. He landed on Omaha Beach soon after the invasion to organize medical supplies, then was placed with the 1st Army Displaced Persons Team. On April 11, 1945, the US Third Army liberated Buchenwald. Command of the camp was transferred to the 1st Army, which was responsible for establishing order and caring for the inmates. Shurr worked 16 hour days trying to find enough food for 15,000 starving survivors. He later was sent to Bavaria as a health welfare officer to assist with the re-establishment of schools, hospitals, and other social services by the US Military occupation government.