In the summer of 1905, Henri Matisse, Maurice de Vlaminck and André Derain discovered the village of Collioure, which lies south of Perpignan on the Gulf of Lyon. There they made a number of landscape paintings, including this one, with its view, painted with impulsively placed brush strokes, from a hill overlooking houses in dazzling sunlight on the shores of a deep-blue Mediterranean. Influenced by Vincent van Gogh's painting and the Pointillists who succeeded him, Derain and his fellow artists liberated themselves from the Post-Impressionist tastes that still ruled Paris. The painters, branded 'Fauves' – in English 'wild animals' – by the critics, developed a new style which was, for a short time, very influential, especially in Germany. The first owner of this majestic view of Collioure was the Paris art dealer Ambroise Vollard.