"Santiago Rusiñol (Barcelona, 1861 - Aranjuez, 1931) first came to Sitges in October 1891. His friend Ramon Casas and Eliseu Meifrén had arrived a few weeks previously. Casas used to paint interiors and blue courtyards and Meifrèn painted landscapes.
Rusiñol felt attracted to Sitges because of its weather, peace, light, colours and the friendliness of the people he met. In addition, a group of painters used to get together in Sitges who were later known as Luminists. From that day and for a decade, Rusiñol maintained an intense relationship with the town. In 1893 he built his own house, which he named Cau Ferrat like the studio he had shared with his friend and sculptor, Enric Clarasó, situated in C/ Muntaner, Barcelona.
The art gallery that he painted white during the first years he spent in Sitges clearly shows the influence of the painters of the Luminist School, since he captures the effects of light on the white walls of the gallery in Can Falç. However, Rusiñol did not limit himself to reproducing luminous contrasts, but he would choose a dim and deteriorated place, transmitting a feeling of silence and solitude that evokes a certain mood."