White leather ceremonial left hand Masonic glove that originally belonged to Laszlo Danos, born Deutsch. It was acquired through his membership in the Freemason society. White kid gloves were presented to newly initiated members; a man's pair for the member and a women's pair for his wife or betrothed. They were symbolic and not intended for use; they represented the ideal that the work of his hands should be pure and spotless. Laszlo, who died of a heart attack in 1934, was part of a large, Orthodox Jewish family in Budapest, Hungary. His wife gave the glove to his sister Lenke. In March 1944, Hungary was occupied by Nazi Germany. Lenke's husband, Bela, was deported in July to a concentration camp where he was killed. In November, Lenke went into hiding with her daughter Kati and her children, and her son-in-law’s family. The city was liberated by Soviet forces in January 1945. Lenke brought the gloves with her when she left Hungary with Kati and her family in January 1949 for the United States.