The USSR-German Pact of August 23, 1939, brought Soviet dominance to the Baltic area and on October 10, 1939, Vilna was transferred to the Lithuanian Republic. Lithuania was one of the countries that accepted Jewish refugees from Poland and elsewhere. The American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee (JDC) aided these refugees working through the local Jewish social welfare organizations. After the Nazi entry into Poland in September 1939, during 1940-41, over 10,000 Polish Jewish refugees fled to Lithuania, among them the rabbis and student bodies of entire yeshivas. JDC provided assistance to these refugees in their flight from Nazism and in Lithuania.