The photograph is part of an album entitled Photographic Pictures from Croatia published in 1870. Author Ivan Standl (Prague, 1832 – Zagreb, 1897) went to technical school in Prague; from 1864 he lived in Zagreb, photographing portraits, group portraits and works of art in his studio. His shots outside the studio are more important: panoramas, architecture and monuments in Zagreb, old forts, castles and landscapes of Croatia. With his characteristic series, he illustrated albums and portfolios of photographs. His Photographic Pictures from Croatia, an album that he made travelling around the country and taking pictures of cities and natural beauties in 1869, could be called our first photo-monograph. The introductory articles were written by Ivan Kukuljević Sakcinski and Ivan Trnski. Such enterprises were rare anywhere in the world at that time, as shown by the prize that a copy of this album won at the London 1874 Exhibition.
Standl was also given awards at exhibitions in Zagreb (1864), Moscow (1872), Teplitz (1879), Stolni Biograd (1879), Eger (1881), Trieste (1882) and Budapest (1885). He was awarded the title of Yugoslav Academy Photographer in 1874.