This portrait forms the right-hand panel of a diptych whose left-hand panel is now in San Marino, California. Between his folded hands, the young man holds a rosary with a small cross. Two inscriptions and a blazon on the back of the work identify the figure as Philippe de Croy (1434 - 1482), a rising star at the court of Philip the Good. He was for a time High Bailiff of Hainaut and after the death of his father in 1473 became Count of Chimay. Following the death of his mother in 1461, he inherited the title of Lord of Quiévrain, whereupon he relinquished his title of Lord of Sempy to his brother. Because this last title is mentioned on the painting, the work must date from before 1461. The painting was bought by van Ertborn in 1825 from a castle in the environs of Namur.