The Huesca Museum (Museo de Huesca) began as an initiative by the Provincial Monuments Commission (Comisión Provincial de Monumentos) to house paintings gathered during the dismantling of various convents in Alto Aragón, along with other collections from a range of sources. The plan took shape in 1873, thanks to the involvement of the Spanish painter Valentín Carderera, who was personally responsible for creating the museum. He also enriched the institute's collections by donating a large part of his own personal collection. The institute was initially based at the Colegio Mayor de Santiago school until 1967, when it moved to its current site—the Sertoriana University building, which is an annex of the old royal palace called the Palacio de los Reyes de Aragón. Its two Archeology and Fine Arts sections summarize the history of Huesca province from prehistoric times through to the 20th century.