The roots of the Peoria Historical Society can be traced as far back as 1839. Incorporated in 1934 as the Peoria Historical Society, the purpose of the Society is to enhance the quality of life in the Peoria area by: collecting, preserving and displaying items relating to our history; encouraging and supporting historical research and education; and promoting and sustaining public interest in the history and contributions of our people and organizations.
The focus of our work has changed and evolved through the years, but our commitment to preservation remains strong. We offer programs for both local residents and out-of-town visitors. We seek to entertain the eye and stimulate the mind. We support historical scholarship and collaborate with other preservation organizations.
We look to the future . . . with a vision to be the community resource and advocate for historical preservation and research on the Peoria area, its organizations and its people. As a collaborative partner of the Peoria Riverfront Museum, we are pleased to have the opportunity to display some of the Society's artifacts and present the history of the Peoria area in the museum.
To preserve, share and celebrate the stories of the Peoria area.