A.Rinaldi 1886 - Stradivarius in his workshop by Alessandro Rinaldi - olio su telaMuseo del Violino
Museo Civico Ala Ponzone collection, Cremona
on display in Museo del Violino
Antonio Stradivari's workshop
The objects held at the Museo del Violino today – moulds for building instruments, wooden, paper and metal models, and tools – document a period of creativity that goes beyond the decades in which Antonio Stradivari was working.
Enrico Ceruti's workshop
While the most precious items are those that belonged to Cremona’s most famous violinmaker, the objects from Enrico Ceruti’s workshop, donated by violinist Giovanni Battista Cerani in 1893, are also of extreme importance.
Ignazio Alessandro Cozio, Count of Salabue
The Piedmontese nobleman acquired the Stradivarian memorabilia in 1775-1776 from Paolo Stradivari, son of Antonio, who in turn had inherited them, following the death of his brothers Francesco and Omobono, who worked with his father in the workshop.
Paolo Stradivari, sells memorabilia of his father workshop to Count Cozio
After selling numerous instruments, Paolo suggested that Michele Anselmi di Briatta, a representative of Count Cozio, bought “all the moulds, measuring implements, utensils and tools that I have ended up with”.
1881 - G.Verdi Conservatory in Milan exhibition of stradivarian memorabilia
Over a century later, the violinmaker Giuseppe Fiorini saw the extraordinary collection on display in Milan, and, from then on, dreamed of owning it.
Giuseppe Fiorini (1861 - 1934)
Fiorini repeatedly asked to purchase the collection over the years, until 1919-1920, when his dream finally came true.
Donation by Giuseppe Fiorini
In 1930, thanks to the generosity of Giuseppe Fiorini (1861-1934), what is undoubtedly the most significant event in the collection’s history was finalised: the donation of the items from Stradivari's workshop from the collection of Count Ignazio Alessandro Cozio di Salabue.
Cremona Civic Museum - Stradivarian Room, exhibition of the collection
He later decided to donate the extraordinary collection to the Municipality of Cremona, and in April 1930, Illemo Cammelli, director of the city’s Civic Museum, received the items and drew up the first inventory, totalling 1303 objects.
Negative proof relating to the inlay of a violin scroll ink on paper
Drawing used for the painted decoration of cello ribs perforated paper
Autograph letter of Stradivari, property of the Stauffer Foundation
Fragment of an old chest or signboard with painted decorations
Fausto Cacciatori - Curator Museo del Violino
In collaboration with Marco D’Agostino
Latin Palaeography and Codicology Professor Università degli Studi di Pavia. Dipartimento di Musicologia e Beni Culturali (Cremona)
With the contribution of Marco Malagodi
Technical Director Laboratorio Arvedi di Diagnostica non invasiva MdV
Introduction by Renato Meucci
President Scientific Committee MdV
© 2016 the authors for their texts and photographs