Museum Wayang building was originally one of the most important church building in Java Island that was built in 1640 - during Dutch colonial era- by the name of de Oude Kerk Holandsche.
The building was renovated and extended in 1730s . The church was then renamed into De Nieuwe Hollandse Kerk .
In 1939, a foundation called Stichting Oud Batavia turned the building into a Museum named Oude Bataviasche Museum.
After Indonesian independence the building is kept as a Museum for Wayang in 1975.