Fund of Modern History was one of the first funds
established in the National Museum of History of Azerbaijan. It was renamed in
Fund of Weapons and Banners after structural reorganizations of the museum in 2009. Over 2200 exhibits are maintained in
Weapons and Banners
Basic part of Weapons and Banners Fund comprises various types of protective, cold steel and fire-arms. Helmets, armoured panoply, swords, pistols and rifles, guns, "zenburak" and others belonged to Middle Ages and New Age prove that arm production is in the highest level in Azerbaijan. Scripts, sugar-plum, geometrical ornaments, golden and silver trimmings, as well as preparation of blade and muzzles of qualitative steel kind testify high professionalism of weapon masters of that period.
Weapons and Banners Fund (2009) by National Museum of History of AzerbaijanNational History Museum of Azerbaijan
Weapons of Caucasus, Western Europe, Russia and Eastern arms belonged to late XIX century-early XX century are kept in the fund.Flags belonged to separate khanates and different Moslem regiments within Tsar Army make flag collection. They were handed from Military Museum of History of Caucasus located in Tbilisi in 1924. These flags were sewn from very delicate fabrics and decorated with nice sugar-plum ornaments and writings from above. Flags concerned Soviet rule, as well as belonged to military divisions of Azerbaijan are protected in the fund.
The flag of Baku Khanate (XVIII century)National History Museum of Azerbaijan
Rectangle fabric of the flag, which is one of the symbols of statehood, was manually sewed of four pieces of light crimson and one piece of light tabby fabric.
Almond-shaped patterns, crescents, six and eight-petal flowers were embroidered on the flag. “Ya Muhammad, tell good news to the believers” and “Help from God and victory is near”, “God helps and protects” were written on the flag with dark crimson threads in Arabic language.
All the patterns on the flag were embroidered with gold threads. Two bent handles decorated with botanical and geometric ornaments on the crimson fabric were completed by dragon heads, which multi-petal flowers reflecting the flame coming out of their mouths.
The flag of Iravan Khanate (XVIII century)National History Museum of Azerbaijan
Fabric of the flag, which is one of the symbols of statehood, was sewed of burgundy woolen cloth in triangular shape.
The lion and the sun drawings were embroidered by applique method in the upper wide part. The lion made of yellowish light brown applique was drawn in profile, as its tail was folded up to the waist and its right front paw was raised up.
The sun in the form of a human being, coming from behind the lion in semi-circle shape was made of yellow woolen cloth. There are two six-pointed colophons above the drawing of the lion and the sun. “I act in accordance with the Sharia law” “1241” (h) (1825-1826) was written on one of them, and “Help is from God, victory is near” and “1241” on the other with black silk threads by chain stitch method. The flag was befringed with silk threads of different colors.
Helmet (XVIII century)National History Museum of Azerbaijan
The headwear of Azerbaijani warriors in the Middle Ages was used to protect the chest and back part of warriors. The surface of the helmet was decorated with arabesque patterns by goldwork technique, while the outer stripe consists of colophons with Arabic script.
A tube was attached to the central part of the helmet for feather. Sinavand - Sinavand is the Polish. The floral ornaments on it are made of gold. The outline of the composition ends with a golden water frame. There are leather straps on the sides to close the stomach.
Spear-trident (XVI-XVII centuries)National History Museum of Azerbaijan
Is an attack weapon of the Middle Ages warrior. Botanical ornaments and bird drawings were crafted on iron by scratch-carve method. In the background of ornamental patterns, prince busts were engraved into four medallions.
These drawings were given on both sides of the trident and the edges were framed with gold. The handle was decorated with geometric lines, botanical ornaments by garasavad technique.
Breast-collar (XVII –XVIII centuries)National History Museum of Azerbaijan
The breast-collar was made of steel. The botanical ornaments on it were made by goldwork technique.
The edges of the composition end with an engoldened frame. There are leather straps on the sides to fasten the breast-collar. It was used to protect the chest and back part of warriors.
Shield (XVII-XVIII centuries)National History Museum of Azerbaijan
The shield, which was a protection item of warriors in the Middle Ages, was made of Damascus steel, it characterizes by a demonstration and ceremony. The shield was decorated with botanical ornaments, golden embroidery, carved patterns. Five umbos were mounted on it to ensure that hits and cold weapons slide over the shield.
The sun in the form of human being and golden beams were drawn on the outer and central umbos. The botanical ornaments on the edge of the shield were engoldened. The composition ends with Arabic-written frames.
Elbow rest (XVI-XVII centuries)National History Museum of Azerbaijan
The elbow rest, which is the element of warriors` defense weapons, was made of steel, the edges of the sharp tips which are similar to the flower petals were attached to the the main part of the elbow rest by twelve small buttons.
There are Arabic inscriptions on cartouches in the background of botanical ornaments on the elbow rest. There are rectangular buttonholes on the edges of the elbow rest to tie those small buttons.
Sheshpar (ancient weapon) (XVIII century)National History Museum of Azerbaijan
Sheshpar, which was a symbol of statehood, power, strength, was made of steel, decorated with botanical ornaments, golden embroidery. Its wings are flat, like an almond kernel.
The handle was made of iron, the surface was divided into 3 large stripes, 6 vertical rows in each part were decorated with botanical ornaments by goldwork technique. The sheshpar belonged to Ibrahimkhalil khan (1726-1806) of Karabakh.
Sword-shamshir (XVIII century)National History Museum of Azerbaijan
The sword, which is considered to be the most perfect weapon of the Middle Ages, was made of Damascus steel. The blade of the sword is acute, its tip is sharp and there are wavy patterns on it.
Its handle is wooden, hilt is in circular shape, decorated with cutting ornaments. There are botanical ornaments made by goldwork technique on the handle.
Flintstone rifle (XVIII century)National History Museum of Azerbaijan
Its muzzle (barrel) was made of Damascus steel. The muzzle (barrel) was decorated with gold botanical ornaments, star-shaped patterns. There are Arabic inscriptions and five-pointed stamp on the central part. “1129”.
The metal part of the rifle was decorated with botanical and star-shaped ornaments by goldwork technique, and its wooden stock was enchased with a bone. The stock of the rifle was made of wood, and a white bone head was mounted on the end.
Matchlock (2048/2048)National History Museum of Azerbaijan
Its muzzle was made of steel, there are botanical ornaments and stamp on it. Botanical ornaments were made by goldwork technique. Botanical ornaments in the form of flower petals, geometric lines were crafted on the matchlock by scratch-carve method.
Its handle is wooden, covered with a metal frame decorated with botanical ornaments. The lock part was decorated with botanical ornaments made by goldwork technique. There are Arabic inscriptions on it.
Dagger (Early XIX century)National History Museum of Azerbaijan
Is a type of cold weapon. It has a cutting and stabbing function. Its blade was made of steel, it is flat, both sides are acute. Botanical ornaments on the blade were made by goldwork technique.
Its handle was made of a bone, green enamel was applied on it. The metal buttons on the dagger's hilt were made by goldwork technique.
Gunpowder container (XVIII-XIX centuries)National History Museum of Azerbaijan
The gunpowder container, which is a firearm facility, was made of bronze, decorated with cutting patterns by shabaka (grid) technique.
The inner part was covered with a red cloth.
Bunjug (XVIII century)National History Museum of Azerbaijan
Was the symbol of the power of rulers and officials in the Middle Ages. It consists of three parts, the bottom part is cone-shaped with a seat, and the upper part was inserted into to the part covered with woolen net with rhombic ornaments.
The bunjug was decorated with horse withers in three rows. Its head was completed with a spherical metal part. The bunjug belonged to Javad khan of Ganja. In 1804, it was seized by Russian troops as loot in the battle for Ganja Khanate.
Director: Naila Mammadali Valixanly , the full member of ANAS, Ph.D on historical sciences, professor
Telephone: (99412) 493 23 87
Deputy director on the scientific affairs: Nargiz Agasalim Aliyeva, Ph.D on historical sciences
Telephone: (99412) 598 17 40
Deputy director on the affairs of scientific fund-Chief Guide: Mahfuza Hadji Zeynalova, Ph.D on historical sciences
Telephone: (99412) 498 67 14
Deputy director on general affairs: Alimammad Hadji Maharramov
Telephone: (99412) 598 48 09
Deputy director on the safety of exposition – chief of the exposition: Habiba Mirpasha Aliyeva
Telephone: (99412) 493 97 43
Scientific Secretary: Farhad Jabbarov, Ph.D on historical sciences
Telephone: (99412) 598 17 39