Concetto spaziale (unknown) by Lucio FontanaLa Galleria Nazionale
Commissioned directly by Palma Bucarelli back in 1964, the work only became part of the gallery’s collection in 1997, when it was finally donated by the artist’s widow (although it had been in the gallery since 1991).
The first public appearance of the work, dated 1949, was in February 1952 (Galleria del Naviglio, Milan) at the first "Spazialista" (Spatialist) exhibition.
On May 17 of the same year, it appeared in an experimental television program broadcast by the channel Rai di Milano, entitled "Buchi e immagini luminose in movimento" (Holes and Luminous Images in Movement). The program presented the "Television Manifesto of the Spatial Movement," clearly drawing on historic avant-garde movements such as the Futurist and Surrealist manifestos.
The work marked the beginning of the "Buchi" (Holes) series, which Fontana would go on to exhibit at the 1954 Venice Biennale, creating quite a sensation.