Charles-Claude Flahaut de la Billarderie, comte d'Angiviller was the director of the Bâtiments du Roi, a forerunner of a minister of fine arts in charge of the royal building works, under Louis XVI of France, from 1775. Through Flahaut, virtually all official artistic patronage flowed.
His portrait by Joseph-Siffred Duplessis, 1779, is conserved in the Musée du Louvre.
In 1784, he was elected a member of the American Philosophical Society.
After the Revolution he was accused of mishandling public property and emigrated, settling in Hamburg, where he died in 1809.