Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, is a historic terminal train station and UNESCO World Heritage Site in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
The terminus was designed by British born architectural engineer Frederick William Stevens from an initial design by Axel Haig, in an exuberant Italian Gothic style. Its construction began in 1878, in a location south of the old Bori Bunder railway station, and was completed in 1887, the year marking 50 years of Queen Victoria's rule.
In March 1996 the station's name was changed to "Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus" after Shivaji, the 17th-century warrior king who employed guerrilla tactics to contest the declining Mughal Empire and found a new state in the western Marathi-speaking regions of the Deccan Plateau. During the 18th-century the state was expanded by the Peshwas to extend over many interior regions of India as the Maratha Confederacy, or the Maratha Empire. The expansion was checked in 1761 by the Afghans in the Third Battle of Panipat, and the empire defeated by the British in 1817–18 in the Third Anglo-Maratha War.