The Doccia porcelain manufactory, at Doccia, a frazione of Sesto Fiorentino, near Florence, was in theory founded in 1735 by marchese Carlo Ginori near his villa, though it does not appear to have produced wares for sale until 1746. It has remained the most important Italian porcelain factory ever since.
In its first decades it was unusual in producing, alongside the usual tablewares and vases, etc, porcelain versions of statuettes and small sculptures, intended as bronzes, by Florentine sculptors of several decades earlier. After the death of its founder in 1757 the factory concentrated on producing more conventional wares, often borrowing styles from larger factories in Germany and France.
Now known as Richard-Ginori, following its merger with Società Richard of Milan, by 2013 it was in bankruptcy and was acquired by Gucci. The Museo Richard Ginori della Manifattura di Doccia, a museum nearby dedicated to the factory and its history, is closed to visitors as of 2019.