Dejima was a Portuguese and subsequently Dutch trading post at Nagasaki, Japan, from 1634 to 1854. Dejima was also the location for trade with the Chinese at the time, and thus the only place designated for foreign trade and exchange during the historical Japanese Edo period.
Dejima was a small fan-shaped artificial island in the bay of Nagasaki covering an area of 120 m × 75 m or 9,000 m², and is listed in old Western documents Latinised as Deshima, Decima, Decuma, Desjima, Dezima, Disma, or Disima. Dejima was built in 1634 to house Portuguese traders and separate them from Japanese society by digging a canal through a small peninsula. The Dutch were moved to Dejima in 1641 and during most of the Edo period the island was the single place of direct trade and exchange between Japan and the outside world. Dejima was abolished after the Treaty of Kanagawa in 1854 and the island was later integrated into Nagasaki city through land reclamation. In 1922, the "Dejima Dutch Trading Post" was designated a Japanese national historic site.