10 East 40th Street or the Mercantile Building is a skyscraper located in the Murray Hill section of New York City, between Fifth Avenue and Madison Avenue, taking the width of the block between 39th and 40th streets. Designed by Ludlow & Peabody and built by Jesse H. Jones, it was finished in 1929 and is an example of Renaissance Revival architecture. When it was built, it was the fourth-tallest tower in the world.
It was previously known as the Chase Tower, after its first tenant, Chase Brass & Copper. Its owner until his death in 1938 was Frederick William Vanderbilt.
It is 632 feet high, with 48 floors, and contains 350,000 sq ft of office or mixed-use space. In September 2002, the building's lobby was renovated, restoring the 15-foot ceilings.
Current tenants include the Moroccan consulate.