The Manécanterie is an ancient monument situated in Lyon in Saint Jean district, in the 5th arrondissement of Lyon. It is placed side by side to the south southwest of the cathedral Saint Jean and is a part of the former convent of the cathedral. This small Romanesque building served first as dining hall to the canons of Saint Jean, before becoming a parish choir school, namely a school for the singing of the clergy.
The Parish choir school is probably the oldest building of Lyon, with the exception of the Roman buildings. It was built in the 11th century, in a style mixing the Gothic and Romanesque influences, but it is based on constructions of the 2nd and 8th centuries. It was successively transformed throughout the late Middle Ages and the modern time, particularly because the roadway of the Place Saint Jean was raised twice.
The Parish choir school, and particularly the sculptures of the saints, underwent damages by the troops of François de Beaumont, baron des Adrets, during the siege of Lyon in 1562 by the Protestants.