The Kunstverein in Bremen from its Beginnings until Today
Kunsthalle (on the left side). The Union of 1801 (on the right side), a club of young merchants, built in 1801 clubhouse on the corner Am Wall/Ostertorstraße. The building was demolished in 1905 and the police building, which now houses the city library, was built.
In the background you can see the Kunsthalle (from its backside). On the left side on top of the "Altmannshöhe" stands one of the seven mills that were built at the beginning of the 19th century as part of the transformation of the ramparts into an English landscape garden.
The Kunsthalle originally owned 48 drawings and watercolors by Albrecht Dürer. After the war 1945 only three drawings remained in the collection. The Women's Bath returned in 2001.
The painting was rescued in 1937 by Rolf Hetsch from the masses of works of art confiscated as "degenerate" in Berlin and loaned for safekeeping by a "foreign member". Rolf Hetsch's wife returned the work in 1945.
As part of the campaign “Degenerate Art”, 15 paintings had to be banished to the depot, including all paintings by Max Liebermann. They were also omitted from the inventory catalogue published in 1939
The stainless steel cube was deformed by Ewerdt Hilgemann in a public "implosion action" on occasion of the Long Night of Museums on 24 May 2014.
The studyroom of the Cabinett of Prints and drawings is listed, so it was not touched during the renovation. But in the rooms next to it...
The Prize of the Böttcherstraße is one of the oldest and most important prizes for emerging art in Germany. It is supported by the Founders’ Circle of the Kunstverein in Bremen.
Am Wall 207
28195 Bremen, Germany