1924 - 2014

History of the cinema concern Mosfilm

Mosfilm cinema concern

The film studio logo 1970

The Cinema Concern Mosfilm is currently Russia’s leading film studio, which brings together the best talent and production teams of the country. It is one of Europe’s largest studios operating state-of-the-art facilities for each and every step of the movie production cycle.

The future Mosfilm studio was built on the First and Third Film Factories of the Goskino works established in 1919, when the studios owned by the cinema moguls of that time — Aleksandr Khanzhonkov and Iosif Ermolyev— were nationalized.

The film studio building in Zhitnaya Street 1920
A.Hanzhonkova on Zhitnaya street
Small Atelier
Studio 1920

In 1923, the First and Third Film Factories essentially merged into a single studio, located in Zhitnaya Street. In November 1923, the studio started filming its first movie On the Wings Skyward (directed by the studio director Boris Mikhin), which was released on 30 January 1924.

Special effects artists at work 1920

Since then, Mosfilm has produced more than 2,500 feature films — several generations of Russian and foreign viewers grew up watching them.

War and Peace 1965 - 1967
The Shield and the Sword 1967 - 1968
Alexander Nevsky 1938
Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears 1979
The Golden Key 1939
We are Jazzmen 1983
Nest of Gentry 1969
Dersu Uzala 1975
Teheran 1980
True Friends 1954
Tractor Drivers 1939
Anna Karenina 1967
Jolly Fellows 1934
Walking the Streets of Moscow 1963
Ballad of a Soldier 1959
The main building 1929

In 1926, the First and Third Film Factories of Goskino were named the United Moscow Factory Sovkino. The number of released movies increased, and so did the staff of the studio. The premises in Zhitnaya Street were not enough for the growing Soviet film industry, and in 1927, the groundbreaking ceremony for a cinema town was held in Vorobyovy Gory near the village of Potylikha.

In February 1931, the new studio began operations. During the following three years, the name of the studio was changed a few times, until it was renamed Film Studio Mosfilm on 4 January 1936.

Location - before the "Mosfilm"
Battleship Potemkin
The Diamond Arm
The New Gulliver
Volga-Volga
Alexander Nevsky
The Children of Captain Grant
Ivan Vasilievich Changes Profession
Four Hearts

After the victory in the Great Patriotic War, it was decided that the main film studio of the country should have a recognizable logo. 

The Worker and Kolkhoz Woman composition, which represented the accomplishments of the Soviet Union, won the competition for the best logo, and the author of the sculpture, Vera Ivanovna Mukhina, created a smaller version specially for Mosfilm and donated it to the studio.

The film studio logo

The vanity card, which first appeared in Spring directed by Grigori Aleksandrov in 1947, has remained the symbol of the studio for decades.

Old film studio logo

At various times, remarkable directors, whose masterpieces carved a place for themselves in the hall of fame of international cinema, created their best works at Mosfilm.

Director Sergei Eisenstein on the set of Ivan the Terrible 1944 - 1945
Director Ivan Pyryev while filming - Kuban Cossacks 19
Director Grigori Aleksandrov on the set of Russian Souvenir 1960
Director Aleksandr Ptushko on the set of Ruslan and Lyudmila 1972
Director Leonid Gaidai while filming - Sportloto-82 in 1982
Director Andrei Tarkovsky on the set of Solaris 1972
Director and actor Sergei Bondarchuk on the set of War and Peace 1967

Among well-known directors — Sergei Eisenstein, Alexander Dovzhenko, Vsevolod Pudovkin, Ivan Pyryev, Grigori Aleksandrov, Mikhail Romm, Grigory Chukhray, Mikhail Kalatozov, Sergei Bondarchuk, Andrei Tarkovsky, Leonid Gayday and many more.

Director Mikhail Kalatozov on the set of The Cranes are Flying 1957
Director Mikhail Romm on the set of Admiral Ushakov 1953

Mosfilm’s movies were screened in international film festivals, competitions and shows and won international acclaim — Mosfilm won numerous awards, including the Golden Lion of St. Mark, Golden Shell for the best film at the San Sebastián International Film Festival, the Palme d'Or of the Cannes Film Festival, U.S. Academy Awards, and many more.

The main building 2014

Mosfilm Cinema Concern today the largest Russian film industry leading company, combining the best creative and productive forces.

This is one of the largest studios in Europe, equipped with modern high-tech equipment, allowing to carry out fully the whole cycle of filmmaking.

Recent years, “Mosfilm” actively engaged in upgrading its technological base.

Sound studio 2014
Studio 2014
Film set

Done a lot of work on the reconstruction of the pavilions and studios, equipping them with the latest equipment and shooting equipment that meet the highest standards of today.

Dubbing studio “Mosfilm”, where the most modern digital equipment, became the first in the world in 2006 received from the company «Dolby Laboratories» Quality Certificate Dolby Premier Studio.

In the studio, in addition to a modern complex storage is a unique museum of historical costume, props and vintage vehicles.

Set design and production props, property storage
Hotshots movie
Complex of scenic staging

Great value Cinema concern “Mosfilm” gives not only the creation of wonderful films, but also the preservation, restoration and digitization of extensive collections of movies, entered into the world of cinema classics.

Telecine complex
Credits: Story

Curator — Mosfilm Cinema Concern

Credits: All media
The story featured may in some cases have been created by an independent third party and may not always represent the views of the institutions (listed below) who have supplied the content.
Translate with Google
Home
Explore
Nearby
Profile