The founding charters of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland
In the late 1680s many Protestants fled Ireland, including several doctors. One of these was Patrick Dun, a Scot by birth, who had been practicing in Ireland since 1676. Dun returned to Ireland in 1689 as physician to the army of King William III. In 1692 he used his influence with King William to obtain a second, and more extensive, Royal Charter for the College of Physicians.
The 1692 Charter, in making the College of Physicians independent from Trinity College, also made the Physicians homeless, as they had to move out of Trinity Hall. Although the Charter made provision for the Physicians to own a hall this did not happen. For the next 170 years the College of Physicians was essentially homeless.
Curation: Harriet Wheelock
Images: Davison & Associates and Andrei Vlad Vasilescu
Thanks to Dublin City Library & Archives for permission to use the image of Speed's Map of Dublin.
RCPI is very grateful to the Heritage Council and those of our Fellows who contributed to the restoration of the 1692 Charter.