The history of founding of the Municipal Theater Documentation Center dates back to 1942, when painter Eliseu Visconti - responsible for several decorative works at the Municipal Theater - donated his studies to the then Prefecture of the Federal District, for public visitation purposes.
(Click image to view details)

On 20 January 1950, the Federal District Prefecture established the Museum of Theaters of Rio de Janeiro (created by Law 425 of 28 November 1949) in the Salão Assyrio of the Municipal Theater. The museum was opened to the public on 2nd April 1951.

The initial collection of the Museum of Theaters of Rio de Janeiro was extended with thousands of other pieces donated by artists and ordinary people, favoring not only the expansion of the collection, but its relevance as a major performing arts documentation center, attracting researchers from all over the country and the world.
(Click image to view details)

The Documentation Center collection brings together an archive and a museum collection. The documentary collection consists of photographs, concert programs, librettos, scores, manuscripts, postcards, posters, leaflets, books and periodicals.

The museum collection includes more than 600 items and consists of paintings, porcelain, glass, drawings, sculptures, clothing, coins, furniture, personal belongings of artists and stage props.

With a collection compiled for over half a century, the Municipal Theater Documentation Center is one of the most important institutions of reference in terms of history and memory of the performing arts in the country.

Credits: Story

Documentary sources

Collection of Rio de Janeiro Municipal Theater Documentation Center - CEDOC / FTMRJ

Curatorship and Text
Fátima Cristina Gonçalves

Photos by
João Lima
Júlia Rónai

Credits: All media
The story featured may in some cases have been created by an independent third party and may not always represent the views of the institutions, listed below, who have supplied the content.
Translate with Google