Covered streets, passageways and vaulted spaces
The seat of the "Compagnia laicale of Saint Girolamo" and "Saint Francesco"
This seat is beyond one of the five gates on the left side of the first part of the internal route. This area was conceded to the Compagnia in 1443 and the oratory was endowed with four altars. After to the suppression of the Compagnia, the Hospital used this oratory to house a school of anatomy and a mortuary.
"Being buried in the Hospital"
The first cemetery of the Hospital was in front of the facade. From the second half of the 13th century the members of the Hospital community and those who left their belongings to the Hospital were buried in the church or in the cemetery areas. The pilgrims who died in the Hospital were buried in mass graves. Over the course of the 15th century the burial zone was moved to the back of the building.
Santa Maria della Scala, servizio programmazione culturale musei
Redazione di Chiara Nencini
Con la collaborazione di Michele Caliani,Olimpia Dell'Avanzato, Viola Pecchioli (progetto alternanza scuola-lavoro liceo classico e musicale "Enea Silvio Piccolomini" A.S. 2017-2018)
Fotografie realizzate dagli alunni della 3D-AM, A.S 2017-2018, del Liceo Artistico "Duccio di Buoninsegna" di Siena.