An emblematic company and international benchmark due to the quality of its porcelain and innovation of its designs.
The evolution of the company marked the development of its production, which can be split into five periods. All of these had a specific logo, which, with some variables, makes their pieces unmistakable. The company was internationally recognised throughout its life, as evidenced by the number and prestige of its customers, as well as the acknowledgements and awards it received.
During the second period at the factory (1948-1954) Porcelanas Bidasoa began to develop high-quality pieces, which took their inspiration from models designed by defunct European royal manufacturers, such as the Neapolitan Capodimonte and the Spanish firms Buen Retiro (1760-1808) and Moncloa (1817-1850).
This piece comes from the second period at the factory (1948-1954), when it began producing high-quality decorative pieces using forms and decorations taken from other eras. However, it was especially in the third phase (1954-1972) that the decorative techniques of oriental porcelain were incorporated.
The fourth period at the factory (1972-1986), was marked by innovation in the design of the pieces (e.g. Bidasoa 80) and the decorative techniques used. However, the firm did not give up its classic line, creating examples of fine technique and great beauty. One example is the recreation of the Carlos IV model.
To do this, the company had a group of very fine local artists who carried out or directed the entire process: preparation of the figure, moulds, joining the different moulded pieces and hand-painting or design of the decoration. The company also worked with major international artists. Their designs were used especially for of crockery or ornamental items.
Gordailua is also home to these figures, which were the result of a laborious process that began with the preparation of the sculpture in plaster. In this case, the original sculpture from which the moulds were made was by artist C. Laca. The figures were built from plaster moulds. Each piece is made up of various parts.
Gipuzkoa Centre for Heritage Collections
Provincial Council of Gipuzkoa
Photos of the Gordailua facilities taken by Oscar Moreno
Photos of the pieces: Saioa Cano (Garoa) and Giorgio Studer (Gordailua)