These paintings, attributed to Leandro Joaquim, portray the Rio de Janeiro of the 18th century. Of the eight elliptical panels that were commissioned by the Viceroy Dom Luis de Vasconcelos e Sousa, two disappeared and the remaining six belong to the collection of the National History Museum. They are historical documents that enable us to visualize the local landscape, adapted for the activities of its inhabitants.
Luís de Vasconcelos, Viceroy of Brazil from 1778 through 1790, carried out important urban works, such as the embankment of the Boqueirão Lagoon to establish the Public Promenade, and the renovation of the old Largo do Paço, which included the installation of the pyramid fountain, a project of Master Valentim da Fonseca e Silva.
To the left, in front of the main facade of the old Viceroy's Palace, later on the Imperial Palace, is the Bragança Regiment; in front of the side facade, under a red flag, is the Novo do Rio Regiment. In the background, in front of the Carmo Convent, the former Cathedral and the 3rd Order of Carmo, the Moura Regiment is aligned. To the right, in front of the Teles Arch, the 2nd Militia Regiment of Santa Rita. In the foreground, Master Valentim's fountain, and with its back to the sea, the Artillery Regiment of Rio and the Viceroy's guard.
President of Brazil
Minister of State for Culture
President of Brazilian Museums Institute
Marcelo Mattos Araújo
Director of National History Museum
Paulo Knauss de Mendonça
Américo David Aurélio
Vania Drummond Bonelli
MHN – 2017