Learn more about the history of the Museum.
The "Museum für Hamburgische Geschichte" (Museum of Hamburg History) was founded in 1908. The main building was built between 1914 and 1922 by Fritz Schumacher, the great Hamburg architect and municipal planning director. The area around the museum, where the Planten un Blomen park is located on the site of the old city ramparts, was still waste land in 1956.
During construction, the facades were decorated with salvaged architectural fragments from Hamburg merchant's houses and with statues of the German Kaisers from Hamburg's old town hall. Parts of buildings which had been destroyed in the Great Fire of Hamburg in 1842 or during projects such as the construction of the Speicherstadt warehouse district were also used.
Projektkoordination und Umsetzung: Anna Symanczyk, Martina Fritz