A brief walk through the history of the Teatro Real, from its origins in the 18th century to its reopening in 1997.
The architect, Antonio López Aguado, was put in charge of the initial design and construction of the Teatro Real. With major interruptions and periods of abandonment, caused by the lack of money and by the death of the architect and his replacement by Custodio Teodoro Moreno, the work was not finished until 1850, 33 years after it had begun.
On the 19th of November, after an investment of 42 million reals, the theatre opened with a production of La favorite, by Donizetti.
Over the next seventy-five years, the Real became a major European theatre, where the best voices of the time came to perform: tenors Julián Gayarre, Giovanni Mario and Enrico Tamberlick, soprano Rosina Penco and the famous diva Adelina Patti.
Following the revolution of 1868 and the exile of Queen Isabel II, the theatre was renamed as the Teatro Nacional de la Ópera.
There are several interesting anecdotes from this period: Parsifal was shown uncut, but with each performer singing in his or her own language, while the Die Walküre was performed for the first time in Spanish.
In October 1925, a flood caused the temporary closure of the theatre and the start of restoration works which would last 41 years, and the theatre never reopened.
The Spanish Civil War (with the explosion of an arsenal kept inside the building) and the difficulties of the post-war period hampered the work even more, and it remained almost at a standstill.
The work to restore it as an opera house began on 2nd of January 1991; this time the work would take almost 7 years.
On the 11th of October 1997 and under the presidency of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, the Teatro Real reopens as an opera house with the opera La vida breve, by Manuel de Falla. A week later, it hosted the world première of Divinas Palabras by Antón García Abril.
Curator: Jorge Féliz
Biblioteca Nacional de España - Biblioteca Digital Hispánica