EUR
EUR (Esposizione Universale Romana) was designed as a modern, innovative district featuring spectacular perspectives and majestic metaphysical architecture in preparation for the 1942 world’s fair in Rome. The new urban development, a focal point for propaganda combining culture, economics and politics, was located in an area served by the new Metro system.

Federico Fellini was so enchanted by the metaphysical atmosphere of EUR that he featured it as the setting for some of his famous films.

The approach from the south was designed by Adalberto Libera to be framed by a huge aluminium arch, which was never completed. The concept was then revived, almost identically, by Eero Saarinen for the Gateway Arch in Saint Louis.

Foro Italico
Designed by Enrico Del Debbio and built between 1927 and 1933, the Foro Italico complex was only completed after the end of World War II. The complex, characterised by its monumental structure, huge obelisk and large marble statues donated by various Italian provinces, is located at the foot of Monte Mario.

The buildings of the Foro Italico include the headquarters of the Italian National Olympic Committee (CONI, the former Italian Academy of Physical Education), characterised by its H-shaped layout, and the Stadio dei Marmi, distinguished by its imposing crown of statues. On the southern side of the complex, the Casa delle Armi, designed by Luigi Moretti, is built in a distinctly Classicist style that also incorporates aspects of the Modern Movement.

Città Universitaria
Città Universitaria (University City), designed to concentrate the “cradle of knowledge” in a single location, was inaugurated in 1937. The result of work by some of the most important architects of the time (Michelucci, Ponti, Rapisardi and Pagano), it was designed based on guidelines laid down by the traditionalist architect Marcello Piacentini. Hence, the repetition of simple elements, the rectangular windows repeated on the façades and the full bodies of masonry and stone. Piacentini’s ideas echo strongly throughout the entire complex: the desire for an unadorned classicism, in which the aspect of monumentality nevertheless remains very prominent.

From the monumental entrance on Piazzale Aldo Moro, the perspective leads the eye towards the Palazzo del Rettorato, in front of which stands the statue of Minerva, symbolising Wisdom. The bronze statue by Arturo Martini is connected with a popular belief among the students of the University that anyone who looks Minerva in the eyes before an exam will inevitably fail.

Post and Telegraphs
The City Development Plan envisaged, among other things, the decentralisation of services outside of the city’s historic core. Calls for tender were therefore issued for the construction of new post office buildings in Piazza Bologna, Via Marmorata, Via Taranto and Viale Mazzini. This resulted in works of construction by the most important architects (Libera, De Renzi and Ridolfi, among others), which are still recognised today as landmarks for entire districts.
Credits: Story

Exhibition edited by Youth Committee of the Italian Commission for UNESCO - Lazio: Antonio Geracitano, Marco Anzellotti, Vittoria Azzarita, Andrea Bangrazi, Ilaria Cacciotti, Francesca Candelini, Giovanni Cedrone, Carlotta Destro, Caterina Francesca Di Giovanni, Alessandra Feola, Paolo Ianniccari, Marta Lelli, Laura Leopardi, Ginevra Odone, Dario Saltari, Paolo Scipioni.

Youth Committee of the Italian National Commission for UNESCO

Credits: All media
The story featured may in some cases have been created by an independent third party and may not always represent the views of the institutions, listed below, who have supplied the content.
Translate with Google
Home
Explore
Nearby
Profile