Tribute space dedicated to the Military Hospital of Chenonceau 1914-1918
From 1914 to 1918, Château de Chenonceau served as a military hospital.
This dedicated area in the "Gallery of the Domes" pays tribute to the memory of all those who helped care for more than 2,250 wounded during the four years of the Great War.
Gaston Menier, Senator of Seine and Marne, then owner of Chenonceau, decided to participate in the national effort and proposed to the Ministry of War to convert the castle into a temporary military hospital, at his own expense.
One hundred and twenty beds were installed in two the galleries on the Cher.
His daughter-in-law, Simone Menier, wife of his son George, and matron-in-charge, administered the hospital, cared for the wounded and actively collaborated with the physicians and surgeons on site, until the the establishment closed on December 31, 1918.
When, on 2 August 1914, the conflict broke out, Gaston Menier, the industrialist owner of Chenonceau, was MP for Seine and Marne. True to his generous ideas and political commitment to the poor, he does not hesitate to respond to the national effort and offers his assistance to the Ministry of War.
The Menier Chocolate Factory supplied the armies and opened two military hospitals. One is located near Paris, Noisiel, headquarters of the Chocolate factory: it is a hospital that received casualties evacuated from the front lines, the other is at Chenonceau, where the seriously wounded are sent.
Chenonceau houses a military hospital, therefore the doctors and nurses' salaries, are assured by the state, but Gaston Menier and his family care for all the other expenses. He is assisted by his son George and daughter-in-law Simone, matron-in-charge and hospital administrator who actively assisted the physicians and surgeons detached.
The Château de Chenonceau wants to thank Jean-Yves Patte, Alain Jamin and his family
who helped enrich this collection.