1870 - 1915

Imperial Palace and Imperial Villa

Kyoto Prefectural Library and Archives

Since the capital was moved to Nagaokakyo in 784, and then to “Heian-kyo” (current Kyoto)  at the year of 794, Kyoto has been continued to be cultural center of Japan for more than 1200 years. Even now, including many Shrine or Temples, various Emperor related facilities exist in Kyoto and are being carefully preserved as important cultural assets. 

Kyoto Imperial Palace

There was Daigokuden of Heian-kyo in areas centered around the current Kyoto Kamigyō Ward. Daigokuden is the palace where Emperor performed policy or held important rituals. Currently, you can see a stone momument in the children's park (Kyoto Kamigyō Ward)  that indicates the location of Daigokuden. 

Monument of Daigoku-den
Kenrei-mon Gate  (Kyoto Imperial Palace)
Shishin-den (Kyoto Imperial Palace)
Seiryo-den (Kyoto Imperial Palace)

The enthoronement ceremony of Taisho Emperor

In 1912, Emperor Meiji passed away and Prince Yoshihito inherited the throne. Coronation of Emperor Taisho was held in Kyoto Imperial Palace on November 10, 1915, and many public gathered to worship this ceremony in Kyoto Gyoen.

Mausoleum of Emperor Meiji
The crowds of spectators at Kyoto Imperial Palace 1
The crowds of spectators at Kyoto Imperial Palace 2
Imperial procession (cavalries)

Procession of the Emperor arrived in Kyoto station for the coronation ceremony entered the Kyoto Gyoen from Sakaimachi Gomon led by cavalry. Kashikodokoro* which is necessary to report that the emperor's reign (*Kashikodokoro: The place dedicated to put Shinkyo  (Spiritual mirror)  which replaces of the Spirit of Amaterasu Omikami)  has been carried from the Imperial Palace in Tokyo. The coronation day, foreign dignitaries also visited Kyoto Imperial Palace.

Imperial procession 1
Imperial procession 2
Official visit to the Palace by foreign dignitary

Following the coronation, Daijyosai was an important religious event for new emperor to be granted for divinity as a person to take the charge of Cultivation and Farming God. Large palace was newly constructed to be the venue of the ceremony, and the material necessary for the construction was procured from towns and villages around Kyoto. Rope made by woven skin of Syuro tree was also one of them. (Syuro : Evergreen tree of the palm family). Syuro tree rope was used for tying and fixing the building materials.

Workers for Imperial ceremony 1
Workers for Imperial ceremony 2

Sento Imperial Palace

17th century, Emperor Gomizunoo erected Sento Imperial Palace (Current Kyoto Kamigyo Ward)  and Shugakuin Sento Imperial Villa (Current Kyoto Sakyo Ward) . In addition, Katsura Imperial Villa (Current Kyoto Nishikyo Ward)  was erected on the right bank of the Katsura River by Hachijonomiya Toshihito and Toshitada Prince. 

Yatsu-hashi Bridge (Sento Imperial Palace)
Seika-tei Teahouse (Sento Imperial Palace)

Katsura Imperial Villa

Shokin-tei Pavilion 1 (Katsura Imperial Villa)
Shokin-tei Pavilion 2 (Katsura Imperial Villa)
Shokin-tei Pavilion 3 (Katsura Imperial Villa)

Currently, stroll style garden with pond of Katsura Imperial Villa is referred as the best Japanese garden. Shōkintei, built within the garden is the most prestigious tea house within the Katsura Imperial Villa.

Shoin Building (Katsura Imperial Villa)

Shugakuin Imperial Villa

Jugetsukan (Shugakuin Imperial Villa)
Kyakuden (Shugakuin Imperial Villa)
Chitosebashi Bridge (Shugakuin Imperial Villa)
Yokuryuchi Pond (Shugakuin Imperial Villa)
Kaede Bridge (Shugakuin Imperial Villa)

Nijo-jo castle

Tokugawa Ieyasu who opened up Edo Bakufu (Edo government)  in early 17th built Nijo Castle as his residence in Kyoto (Currently at Kyoto Nakagyo Ward) . Nijo Castle was transferred to Kyoto and became the Kyoto Prefecture building in 1871, but later relegated Imperial Household Ministry  (Kunai-shō)  and became Nijō rikyū after new Kyto Prefecture building was established. In 1939, Nijō rikyū was given as royal gift to abolished Kyoto, Imperial Villa Onshi Nijo Castle was open to public in the following year. It was registered to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1994.

Higashiote-mon gate (Nijo-jo castle)
Kuruma-yose Porch (Nijo-jo castle)
Credits: Story

制作 — 京都府立総合資料館
Curation — Kyoto Prefectural Library and Archives

Credits: All media
The story featured may in some cases have been created by an independent third party and may not always represent the views of the institutions, listed below, who have supplied the content.
Translate with Google
Home
Explore
Nearby
Profile