The Reformation was a series of spiritual, social, cultural, and political processes that affected Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox Europe from the early sixteenth century
The history of this Hus tract can be traced from its composition in Prague and printing in Wittenberg (1537) to the library of Archbishop Thomas Cranmer (1489-1556). After the confiscation of Cranmer's books it belonged to Samuel Burton (1568/9-1634) of Christ Church Oxford. Sometime later in 1694, in his work 'Memorials of Cranmer', John Strype records its location as Canterbury. Today it resides in the beautiful Old Library, Trinity College Dublin.
Traces of Tyndale’s influence are preserved in this copy of Coverdale’s New Testament from 1538. The original owner has erased Coverdale’s name from the title-page and substituted Tyndale’s. This change is also echoed on the volume’s spine. Another annotation, in a later hand, notes that the work should be attributed to Coverdale.
Curation: Shane Mawe, the Library of Trinity College Dublin, Dr Graeme Murdock, Department of History, Trinity College Dublin and Dr Mark Sweetnam, School of English, Trinity College Dublin.
Technical assistance: Greg Sheaf, Digital Systems and Services, the Library of Trinity College Dublin.
Imaging: Gill Whelan, Digital Resources and Imaging Services, the Library of Trinity College Dublin.
We would like to express our gratitude to Paul Ferguson (the Library of Trinity College Dublin) for his help in sourcing images for the exhibition.
With thanks to Anita Cooper (the Library of Trinity College Dublin) for providing valuable feedback on beta versions of the exhibition and to Clodagh Nelligan (Preservation and Conservation Department, the Library of Trinity College Dublin) for her help with the physical exhibition.