The Teatro Massimo opened its doors to the public on 1897 May 16. It's the largest theatre in Italy and third in Europe.
The international competition for the project and realisation of the opera house had been announced by Palermo Council in 1864, and its prime mover was the mayor, Antonio Starrabba di Rudini.
For a long time there had been talk of building a big new theatre in Palermo, worthy of the second biggest city in southern Italy after Naples.
(Entrance of the Caffè del Teatro Massimo in the early '900)