The Arizona Capitol Museum presents: The U.S.S. Arizona Silver Service Collection

Arizona Capitol Museum

The Arizona Capitol Museum has housed the U.S.S. Arizona Silver Service for decades, as part of a loan agreement with the U.S. Navy. The Silver Service was finished in 1916, however, final payment was not made until the Arizona was on active duty. Thus, the service could not be sent to the ship until 1919. The Presentation Silver was used for special events such as President Herbert Hoover's working vacation on the newly refitted Arizona in the early 1930's. The service is a set with a copper and silver punchbowl with matching goblets, bread trays, vases, candle holders, compotes, cigarette trays, a humidor and more - it is not simply flatware. The service was removed from the ship in late 1940 and placed into storage for almost a year before the ship was sunk at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. The AZCM (Arizona Capitol Museum) has had the Silver Service on display since the early 1990s.

USS Arizona Silver Presentation Set: Over 50 pieces of the Arizona’s silver service is on display in the museum.

The service features artwork by Lon Megargee who was one of the first artists be commissioned to create art for the capitol.

Many of the actual images shown in the silver are on display on the 2nd floor of the museum.

This beautiful silver service was removed from the ship about one year before the attack on Pearl Harbor and did not go down with the ship.

It did go to Europe after the war ended to help celebrate our victory, and to honor the men of the USS Arizona and all who died at Pearl Harbor.

From 1916 through the summer of 1917, citizens across Arizona raised funds to provide a silver service for the new battleship Arizona. Made of copper and silver, this silver service was used aboard the USS Arizona from 1919 until it was removed during a “strip ship” by the US Navy at Bremerton, Washington in late 1940-early 1941 in preparation for the war with Japan.

As per Naval policy the silver service was returned to Arizona in 1953, and in 1992, it was officially transferred to the Arizona State Library, Archives, and Public Records, and the AZCM.

Credits: Story

Arizona Capitol Museum
Steve Peter
Stephanie Mahan
Jack August

Credits: All media
The story featured may in some cases have been created by an independent third party and may not always represent the views of the institutions, listed below, who have supplied the content.
Translate with Google
Home
Explore
Nearby
Profile